Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mission Preparation Class

So here I am at BYU and I've decided to take a missionary preparation class from one of the best teachers in the world, Brad Wilcox. If you haven't heard of him or his endless amounts of wonderful literature, do yourself a favor and click right here. For his class he has given us several assignments that will help us to prepare to serve as missionaries. I will be using this blog to keep a journal of my experiences and thoughts as I attend his classes & complete assignments.

Below are the course assignments I have been given and how I plan to execute each:

Read the material
-This is easy, the material is our scriptures and his book The Continuous Atonement. Two of my most favorite works.

Limit TV & Electronics
- The goal I have chosen to set is to leave my phone at home during church on Sundays. Something that is seemingly small, but I hope will help me to pay better attention and allow myself more opportunities to feel the spirit.

Prepare Short Answers to Difficult Questions
- Throughout this course I will use this blog to write some of my ideas on difficult questions asked of me personally as well as those discussed in class.

Memorize D&C 4 and the Articles of Faith
- I'm going to do my best, okay? I've never had a knack for memorization.

Teach a Gospel Principle
- During this semester I must approach & teach a stranger the first lesson in Preach My Gospel. I will then receive feedback, make adjustments, and repeat the process. I'll let you know how this goes.

Atonement Essay
- A 2-3 page paper about what the Atonement means to me. This will be a wonderful thing to have on hardest days of my mission. A reminder of the hard work I owe to my Savior for allowing me this earthly journey which I have been give the opportunity to partake of.

Complete all Visiting Teaching
- I love visiting teaching. Getting to know girls in my ward more personally, praying for their specific needs, and learning to love them; I love it. So bring it on.

Participate in Dating 
- Oh dear. I'm not crazy about dating. I just don't...I don't know....it just makes me nervous. But, I've made a goal that I will go on at least two dates a month. Small, I know, but I'm trying.

Greet People and Start Conversations
- This is actually an assignment? Fabulous, because I love doing this anyways. On the bus, in line, at the store, watch out, I'd love to talk to you.

Volunteer at the Teaching Resource Center
(The TRC provides an opportunity for missionaries to practice teaching volunteers a lesson in their mission language.)
- I've always wanted to do this, so I'm super excited. I think I may even volunteer to do it in American Sign Language. It would be good practice for the both of us. I'll let you know how this goes.

Alter Eating Habits
- My goal: No soda, less sugar. Y'all wish me luck, I'm going to try my hardest.

Exercise
- My goal: Physical exercise at least three times a week.

Personal Scripture Reading
- One of my all time favorite things. I'm currently reading the Book of Mormon with my missionary, so I love this one.

Journal Writing
- This blog will serve as my online journal, documenting all of my experiences within this class and the mission to come.

Attend Devotionals
- Every Tuesday BYU has a devotional. They're uplifting, interesting, and engaging. I'm going to try my best to attend as many as possible and takes notes each time.


So that's a lot of to-do items huh? I'll keep you posted on all of the happenings as I take this class and continue to prepare to serve the Lord on a mission. Here's to a semester of big things to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment