Sunday, May 24, 2015

Praying for Rain

Hey y'all! We are sending up our prayers this week for rainy season to make its way on over. It's hot! But we are happy here in Balagtas. Finally starting to figure things out in our little part of the world. Names, addresses, faces...It's all beginning to become more cohesive. Can you believe May is coming to an end? Me neither. This week we stayed busy with teaching and finding work. If you don't already know, I absolutely love the Filipino children and there are plenty of them. There is one less active member that we teach and when I asked her how many children she had, she replied, "I'm not sure, more than 9." And she meant it. For the record, she has 11 children. On Sunday evenings we teach one of my very favorite families. They have six kids, the oldest being 8 years old. When we got there they were playing in the freshly harvested rice field. Barefoot, dusty, and falling over themselves with laughter. No toys or technology, just neighborhood friends and a whole field to themselves. Their happiness was infectious and I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. Makes me think of one of my favorite Thoreau quotes: "As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, no weakness weakness." Look at the simplicity of the gospel of Jesus Christ. A doctrine that could be made applicable for every part of humankind. I love all the lessons I have learned from my life here in the Philippines. What a beautiful plan we have been given to have the opportunity to continually learn. Let us strive to live simply, happily, always learning. 


The slaughter house next to our apartment. What a sight huh?

Kangkong fields




The Elders are teaching a wonderful family. Sam and Joy are in their mid-twenties, with three children and have adopted two children with special needs. They are hard working, loving, and inspirational. 

My favorite way to spend Sunday evenings


No comments:

Post a Comment