Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Welcome to Deparo

So I have to admit, for the first time in my whole mission I'm feeling homesick. Not for Georgia, but for Fairview! I miss my old area, I truly loved the people there so much. It's been hard to switch. After a few days in Deparo I quickly realized there is a lot of work to be done here. The teaching pool has barely any people at all and after looking through past records, I see that it's been that way for a long time. Church on Sunday was interesting, the welcome was pretty cold. I will say though I was pleasantly surprised as I stood at the pulpit that the things I desired to say came to me quickly in Tagalog. I wasn't nervous or anxious at I expected, but simply spoke from my heart. That was truly a miracle. The ward members aren't really friends with each other and there is a bit of an empty feeling. Our ward mission leader is a very nice guy who is willing to help us, he just needs some help to know what he is supposed to do. At first I was disappointed to leave such a strong ward to come to Deparo, where the fellowshipping is pretty non-existent. But, the more I try to look at the bright side of things, the more blessings I recognize. We walk without teaching most of the day, but hey, I could use the exercise. We pass through crowded areas with lots of people which provides many opportunities to open my mouth and practice my Tagalog. The Relief Society and visiting teaching program here is really struggling, but we have planned to serve them and help them to grow closer. The auxiliary leaders don't really work together, but maybe the missionaries will be the key to help everyone realized that we all have the same purpose. Despite the work being really exhausting and hard and at times seemingly fruitless, I am excited for the challenge. I know Sister Resurreccion and I have become companions in this area for a reason. I know that through prayer, fasting, studying, and effective planning we can hasten the work here in Deparo II. Sometimes we feel like hanging our heads and going home, but we know that people here have been prepared for us and we have promised that we won't give up until we find them. I'm thankful for this opportunity to grow and stretch my abilities. I know the Lord has lots for me to learn here, I'm ready for it.

Love always,


Sister Cork


My beautiful new house, Rainbow House.



The generally accepted "ten commandments"... I think they forgot a few...


No comments:

Post a Comment