Monday, March 10, 2014

Humble Circumstances


One of the hardest things about living here is seeing people suffering. I see children that are starving for food and parents who cannot feed them. There are so many children who are sick. We teach a 16 year old girl with a two month old baby. Her baby has RSV. As we taught the baby just laid there in the hammock, barely breathing with glassy eyes. It was so hard for me. We taught about how the gospel can bless her family and I could hardly keep from crying. Two weeks ago one of the families we teach got really sick, the mother pleaded in her prayer for one of her little boys not to die. It was one of the most humbling experiences I've ever had. He had pneumonia, that's it. In the United States that's no big deal, just a pain. But here, children die from it constantly. There is a less active family with three small children, ages 7, 5, 3. The whole family was just diagnosed with tuberculosis and we're no longer allowed to teach them. It was crushing. It weighs on my heart more than I can explain. It's so hard for me sometimes. I cry tears as I ask Heavenly Father to please bless these people. I really have to rely on the Spirit to protect my heart while I'm here. It drives me to share the gospel with people. I can't heal their sick bodies, but I can give them the opportunity to experience the healing power of the gospel to their weak souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment