Monday, March 3, 2014

Happy March

Hey y'all! How are things back at home? Hopefully the weather is not as hot as it is here. Everyone says it's still mild outside. I don't know if I'm ready for not mild. I may just melt. Living here is sort of like camping, even in my home. All windows and doors are always just screens, sometimes not even that. We live with the dirt and dust and all the little critters and it's just become normal. Our bathroom is full of little pink lizards. At first it was weird but now it's just life. Sometimes I wonder what it will be like to go home and breathe clean, unpolluted air, to hear someone say my first name, or to experience silence. I wonder if it will be weird to go places along after having a companion by my side literally 24 hours a day. I guess we'll see. 

So I am 5'4. Not tall at all by American standards, yet here I am HUGE. I am the same height as most men and I tower over women. It's hard to get used to. My head bumps into everything as I walk down streets. Sometimes my head is just below the room of people's homes. I can't imagine what it'd be like to be taller and live here. 

Our area is split into two parts: Fairview 1 and 2. The others sisters are in Fairview 2. Last weekend they were headed to an appointment. They had just stepped out of an alley and started walking down the road when they heard screaming and running. They turned around to see a man with a gun run into the alley they had just let and started open-firing. They were in tears when they got home. They spent a lot of time talking to the Mission President and church security. They cannot return to their area until they are told so. The Filipino sisters we live with said shootings happen often. One happened in the mall in the middle of my area last year. I'm thankful for the protection and guidance of the Spirit in our lives. 

I've had several people ask about birthday gifts. The best thing you could send me would be a letter with a stamp inside so I can write you back and a picture of your family. Thank you, thank you!

The work continues here in the Philippines. It's hard, hard work, but it is oh so good. Thank you for all of the love and prayers. I love you all so much!


Sister Cork
Duck embryo=Dinner



Lost in Translation

1 comment: